The Financial Requirements to Study in the UK for International Students

Studying in the UK is exciting, but it also can be very expensive! In order to receive your Visa, you will need to prove that you have enough money to pay for your course fees and your living costs in the UK. The Home Office calls this the maintenance requirements. We have created this summary to help you understand the financial aspect of your international application.

Table of Contents

Course fees

Home Office and the University require you to prove that you have enough money to pay the tuition fees for the first year of your course. The sum of these fees varies depending on which educational institution you have applied for, but they can be as much as £20,000 per year. When you receive your CAS code from your university, the Home Office can use the code to confirm how much money you need for your course fees. Please note that if you have paid your course fees or not, this will be confirmed on your CAS.

Living costs

The Home Office uses fixed amounts to determine if you are able to sustain yourself while living in the UK. These amounts in theory reflect the UK living costs.

Studying in London will require evidence of £1,265 per month, for a maximum of 9 months. Therefore, if you are studying a one year course, the amount which you will need is £11,385 approximately.

Studying elsewhere in the UK the living cost decreases to £1,015 per month, therefore the total required for a full year of study is £9,135 approximately.

The University should provide you with the start and end date of your course, and it should be stated on their website. Alternatively, you can figure out the start and end dates of your course, by simply referring to your CAS. When figuring out the living costs please make sure to round up any incomplete months.

More Like This>>  How To Save Money During College Abroad




1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *